Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Closing Day in Kenya

It is the closing day of the Annual Meeting today, so sad... So exciting. We get to send these wonderful folks out to the mission field, hopefully rejuvenated and ready for the work...
I spoke with a man last night named Benson, who God has called to reach out to the Turkana people, an unreached people group (less than 2% reached with the Gospel) in the Turkana desert of Kenya. Some of you have seen his video. His stories are incredible. He showed me his Cobra bites, told of Scorpion stings, the bullet hole that is really, literally over his heart. God has called him to do amazing things and he has been saved from so much. He walks hundreds of kilometers to meet with his churches, disciple people. His goal is to plant 100 churches among his people, and he has planted 48 now. You should hear his heart for God! He invited me to a graduation service when they begin their discipleship training program. I asked him if scorpions (the size of your hand) are involved in this trip and he said, "Jenny, you should not fear anything. God is always with you". So there. That was humbling :)
We had our day of prayer and fasting yesterday. It was a sobering time of prayer and one of the big topics we felt God leading us to pray for was family and purity. I have committed to praying more fervently for my brothers. I forget sometimes the struggles that men (and some women) go through. Leaders are especially under attack with thought life and purity. Galen and John from India both shared some incredible testimonies and some very serious challenges. I am blessed to be surrounded by men who are fighting against the temptations that destroy so many people. We were also called to return to family. I am not married, but it was a great reminder for me that when I do become married, that it is my first ministry, my first priority, and from that, God will work. There are so many leaders here who were crying out for the ways the haven't loved their spouses and children first. They have been so busy with ministry, that they forget to love those they are called to first. I was also struck by what a huge gift marriage is. Adam didn't ask for a wife, but God blessed Him with one anyway. That's pretty cool.
One of the ways God really spoke to me was in the area of really dwelling in the Lord. And becoming a place He wants to dwell... Ephesians 3:14-19 says, For this reason, I kneel before the Father, from whom His whole family in heaven and on earth derives its nae. I pray that out of His glroious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray taht ayou, being rooted and established in love, may have power together with all the saints to grasp how wide and long and hight and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that suprasses knowledge that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. I pray that I will understand that dwelling. Ephesians 2:22 says, In Him you too are bing built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by His Spirit.
We prayed for peace and healing in Sudan, Barundi, Rwanda, Congo. Many of these leaders come from war-torn places. Facing things I cannot even remotely imagine. May God show me His heart for these people. We gathered around the leaders and asked God for peace and favor and healing. Many have lost their families to war. It is incredibly sad.
We also had a time of praying for healing and to have no more hatred for those who have hurt us, terrorists, etc. Galen said, "we must learn to love our enemies more than they hate us" and I think he's so right. That's what Jesus did. I pray God will give us grace.
We closed the day with sharing of the Lord's supper. We praised God and what a sweet time it was. These folks really know how to press in. Communion is not something that should be taken lightly and I appreciate the fellowship last night.
We have been having Assessment meetings with each of the programs who are here, and it has been a great experience to learn about the leaders more fully, to learn about the programs, to dream with them in the things God has called them to, and to pray for and encourage them.
I am so tired, very tired, but God is giving us all strength to smile, laugh, and love in the ways He wants us to. I wish there was a hundred more years to be with these people. To listen to them, to pray with them.
I am sleeping more here than in Mexico last year or even in India (I'm getting six or seven hours a night!!!).
We will have our closing celebration tonight, learning songs from around the world, celebrating together what the Lord is doing and has done. We have a lot to finish today, and the day seems so short, but time is not ours to make... I have met a couple of american women here, who I will be friends with I hope when I return to PA. One is close to my age and really cool :)
The Get It! Team who is on outreach here from Switzerland (who I spent time with in Liestal Switzerland in November) has been doing a wonderful job. They have been ready and willing to jump in whenever asked, which is very helpful!
We will begin our facilitator team meetings tomorrow, and have so much to go over. Please pray that as Galen leads that time, we will get far in planning, etc. I will be giving some direction to some teaching, etc., so please pray for me... There are such joys and challenges in working cross-culturally and in offices spread throughout the world.
I get to go on Safari on Saturday, hopefully with my coworkers from Ch. Afterwards I will go to International School of Missions to meet the participants and do some teaching (eep). I don't know why I keep getting these opportunities to teach, I feel so unworthy of that role, but God keeps giving it to me.
On Sunday, I think I will spend some time with the Massai tribal people of Kenya and perhaps get into some of the poor and remote areas... That is the rough plan right now, who knows what will really happen :) Missions = flexibility. I am still praying I will be useful to God in this whole time I am here, that I would not waste any moment, but that I will also take the time to fully experience Him and the blessings around me.
I am more convinced day by day of the calling God has for my life. I pray He will allow me to be in missions for the rest of the time He gives me on earth. I am also more convinced that my role in serving these brothers and sisters and giving them the opportunity to fulfill God's call in their lives is one of the coolest things I can do! They know the context, the culture, the language. As they travel to places a white person cannot go, I am blessed to hear their stories.
I will be so sad to leave this place, called Kenya, but am so excited to return home to see many of you. To continue the work God has called me to in supporting and encouraging these leaders from around the world, until the whole world knows.
Love to you all,
Jenny

No comments: