Sunday, January 28, 2007

Adventures in India




Again, Wow. If I could package this experience and make it short and sweet, I would. But it is simply impossible to share in a short time...
I awoke this morning, went to the bathroom to shower, turned on the light and screamed when a chipkali (lizard that is about four inches long and is chameleon-like, but not a chameleon AND smaller than a gheko) ran down my wall and towards me (I was between the lizard and the window). Bugs and lizards. Not used to them, but am getting pretty used to them. I understand he cannot hurt me, therefore, he is kind of cool now. He should have warned me first, perhaps written a note. "Excuse me ma'm. I enjoy warm, moist areas. I will take to resting behind your water heater. Sincerely, Mr. Chipkali Lizard". That would have been nice. He has taken up residence on my wall behind my water heater and is a bit freaky because he "blends" in with the wall and as such is whitish. Lizards should be green, right? :) I think I screamed because never before has my waking vision been of a lizard running at me.
I took an auto rickshaw with a punjabi girl (think of the most beautiful Indian girl you can picture, and that would describe Ruby) who is here and went to church at the outreach church in Delhi that's primary outreach is to street children and prostitutes. It was an intereresting service, but the part that touched me the most was the real love that was shown to those who this culture would deny love to. There were six little boys (maybe between 5 and 10) whose parents have all died of AIDS, and they are all HIV positive, too. Most people would not go near them, but today, as I shook their hands, heard their names, smiled, and looked into their eyes, I was reminded of what a precious gift we all have to give to people. It's the gift of smile and touch. Jesus did it so often. Why don't we?
After church, I DROVE in New Delhi! A missionary who is here named Saji who is from Los Angeles and is very cool, let me drive his family's car. Picture this. Wrong side of the road, stick shift (that is on the left of you, not the right), traffic that is (I've been told) the most terrifying in the world, four people on back seat, three kids and one adult in the "trunk" area (this is COMPLETELY normal here. They even drive with their kids on their laps). Me driving. We all survived and it wasn't hard. They honk like crazy here, so I did too. I was so excited, because afterwards, we went to lunch at Subway. Even that tastes super funky here. But it was a bit of home and NOT SPICY at all (yippee!!!). I ended up giving most of my lunch to the begging children though as we walked to get to our rickshaw for travel to a market. There are many heartbreaking things here. The children with matted hair, dirty bodies, broken limbs, bloody bodies are the hardest to accept. And I hope I never do accept it without a prayer or second glance. When did it become so hard to have true compassion?
I was able to purchase some gifts for my mom and sister today at market, which was fun. I am now a professional bargain shopper and have learned the art of negotiating (aka - white does not equal lots of money)...
This evening we said goodbye to some coworkers who are leading business development teams. I should have taken a picture of them, they were literally covered and surrounded by luggage in their taxi.
Most of the participants had a church service here, and then toured the area and spent time relaxing. We have run a very tight schedule, from about 6:40 in the morning until 8 or later at night, with no real resting... Galen thought it would be nice to let them have a day off :)
After dinner this evening, we met with one of the program leaders we serve here in India. He is from an anti-conversion area (2000 fine and 2 years in prison for sharing the gospel) and heard what God is doing. Weekly, they hear reports (multiple reports) of God healing people. This man's own mother was healed from cancer (after a seven year battle) when Christians prayed for her. That is how he became a Christian. As I listened to story after story of God at work through this program, I was amazed again that I get to witness any of this. God is calling to people, and actually giving them very little chance to deny Him. Would you be able to deny Christ if after someone prayed in His name for healing, you were healed? It's completely amazing to me.
I have learned the majority of what is wrong with me can be cured with an inhaler and some Tiger Balm. So if you were to walk into my room, you would smell strong smelling stuff in large doses. I literally cover my face with this yellow stuff and can breathe much better. However, please continue to pray. I think my lungs are not handling the dust and smog well here. I will be glad to go to the mountains of Kenya. I can't believe we start this process again in a few short days!
We have our closing day tomorrow (where did the time go?!??). We get to celebrate together and pray and worship together, which I am excited about. I will be dressed up in traditional Indian clothing by some of the women here.
Okay, that's enough of that. I will stop as it is bed time here for me.
May you be blessed today as you wake up. I will be sleeping here. Weird.
Love you!!!
Jenny

No comments: