Sunday, March 11, 2007

I'm in Bolivia!!!

Santa Cruz
Sugar Cane Mill

Meat


Dinner



The view from my room!




Mtn in Bolivia from airplane window. Pretty great at 5:00 in the morning...





Con papa Jorge in back of truck on the way to dinner...






We have arrived! And what adventures we had on the way... I can now say I have a least favorite airline (though I won't say who...) and that Terminal A is VERY far from Terminal D in Miami. 25-30 minutes at a good clip. If you look desperate enough, the gate agents will take pity on you and let you use the restroom, even though they are closing the doors to the plane :) I think it also helped that there were three men being deported from the states, so that bought us a minute or two...

I have also walked (out of sheer boredom) almost the entire Chicago airport with my coworker Tim. We didn't get over to the international area, but we walked almost all the domestic terminals (which is a lot of walking - about two hours worth)... We thought we were wasting lots and lots of time, but it's hard to fill six hours in an airport. It was weird to go from thinking you were never going to fly (the airline kept pushing back the departure time) and then in the next city thinking you were never going to make it to the flight. Odd. I even cried on my flight to Miami because the stewardess was being very rude and I was a bit stressed. I love it when I'm irrational :) I got to sit next to a really cool couple though from Chicago to Miami. We talked about God and it was good.

Bolivia's customs is perhaps the shortest and simplest of anywhere I've ever been. I even saw a man put my suitcase onto his luggage cart, and wondered if I should yell at him from the customs line, or pray that he figured out what he was doing. He thankfully figured it out, so I have all my luggage...

When they woke us up on the flight this morning to tell us we were about to land in LaPaz (one of two capital cities in Bolivia), I looked out my window and through the clouds I saw some pretty amazing mountains. It is beautiful here. Once we got the passengers loaded onto our flight from LaPaz to Santa Cruz, it was only about one hour to here. We flew over rain forests and a lot of beautiful scenery. I must say I have enjoyed it tremendously so far (in the four hours I've been here :) Our new Latin American facilitator and his son picked us up from the airport. I love familiar faces in new places. The hotel we are staying at is nice (not four star, but very nice and comfortable). We are in walking distance to a grocery store (not always the case at these meetings) so I am thankful for that. We are going to work a bunch today, then head to the Churrasco for dinner (think lots of meat)... Mmm... I've had to use my spanish a lot here so far, so that is fun! Mmm... Just back from dinner and the MEAT. And the best salsa I've ever had. Really. And I've had a lot of salsa. We shared the meal with about 20 of us. It was a great time, I got to meet some new people who are working here with various organizations.

Alright, just wanted to let you all know we made it safely :)

Love you!!!

No comments: