Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Weddings, Wedding Cakes, and other Ramblings

A few of you have been asking for photos of cakes I've done, so here you go...

For about five years now, my friends and coworkers have been getting married at an alarming rate :) In just two weeks, I will be in an airplane, heading west to Redondo Beach, CA to my best friend from high school's wedding. She lives in California, and well, I live here. It's been fun being a Maid of Honor from across the country, though I can see a bunch of ways it would be easier if I were closer... Some of you know I have coordinated weddings, helped with wedding hair/makeup, I've even gotten to photograph two of them... and most frequently, have made wedding cakes. It all started about five (FIVE!) years ago with Kent and Erin's wedding in beautiful Marble, Colorado. Sorry, don't have pictures of those cakes... I have learned that being IN the wedding and making the cake is not the most intelligent of ideas. Coordinating and doing hair/makeup and the cake is also a bit tricky. Photographing and making the cake is doable, but a bit tiring. It makes your arms want to fall off. I have decorated more cakes than I can actually remember... What a "sweet" way to bless people! Okay, sorry, needed that bit of cheese in there to make sure you were paying attention... Recently, this has been made easier with the help of Sugarplums and Tea's Pastry Chefs, who make the cake and frosting and then I get to decorate away (my favorite part and it sure beats the old days where I made everything, too)... I'm definitely not a pro at this, but I love to play, so it's fun that my friends let me do this for them...

_________________________________________________________________
Rob and Sandy's wedding in Berne, Indiana. I got to "shoot" with my friend Nicola as well, which was fun - Thanks Nic for letting me play with your camera... I may have even taken some of these cake photos. This also wins the prize for the farthest I've traveled with enough cake for 350 people in a car... And a super fun road trip with Nicola, Felixa and Dean, and Tim.




The couple met on a photo/video assignment for GD filming in Kenya. So we thought the groom's cake could be the Nikon D-7o (they joke was that the camera was the thing that started it all, even though we really know it was all God...) I had help from my friend Tim on the groom's cake. He helped carve out the 3-D effects.

__________________________________________________________________

These were probably the most interesting cakes I have done. I was heavily involved in the wedding of Annie and Nigel last fall and it was so much fun. I learned leading a youth retreat the day before a wedding is not a good plan... I thought Nigel was crazy when he told me he wanted this cake... But I love how unique it is and is to this day, one of my favorite cakes I've made. Those are white chocolate "cigarettes" cut to different lengths around the cake and raspberries covered with powdered sugar in the middle.



I love that there's a fly on this cake picture...

________________________________________________________________

These cakes were for my friend Amy's wedding almost one year ago. She worked with me at GD and I got to do all sorts of fun stuff for her wedding (coordinate, hair/makeup, cakes). It was fun to be so involved and I learned a lot from it! Thank you for trusting me so much on your big day and for being the most laid back couple ever.

They gave me complete artistic liberty with their cakes, so I had fun with this grooms cake.

_______________________________________________________________
This was maybe the second or third wedding cake I made... I was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding and made the cakes (not sure I'll do that again - that was a bit harder than I bargained for...)

2 comments:

Nathan Hoover said...

OK....I am really hungry now. ~Nate

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness!! really??? you made those jenny?? i had no idea. ok, so i've already decided you're going to make my wedding cake now. i just have to go find myself a husband first. :)