Sunday, June 24, 2007

The wedding extravaganza, so far...


Well, it is beyond hard to believe that just 72 hours ago, my very sweet friend Nate picked me up to take me to the airport (yes, at 4:00am :)) to see my friend Christine (who I have known for 13 years and have not seen for almost three years) and to be the maid of honor in her wedding.


First meeting in three years makes you a bit crazy, eh? Hee hee...




Thank you so much for the ways you have all prayed for me and are calling, emailing, texting to encourage me. This is a mission for me.

Christine's favorite meal: sushi




I arrived in LA after a very nice flight, with my bags arriving about one hour after I did (on a different flight...) For the first hour or so, Christine and I remarked that it was very odd (but good) to see each other in the flesh... We were staring a bit, because it was just so weird to see each other after all this time. Since the time I arrived at the airport, it has been a whirlwind tour of pre-wedding stuff. This wedding is bigger and more intense than any others I have been involved in. We have run errands, done final dress fittings, shopped, ate, ate some more. Met the fiance (finally!!!) which was a bit odd, a bit intense, and so very different from what I imagined growing up for Christine. I think he was very nervous, but thankfully God kept me from being nervous. Christine was also very nervous. We witnessed one of the strangest accidents on the freeway on the way to meet Adrian that I've ever seen where a car literally drove up the side of a truck, almost rolled over, then righted itself before it did... We had to pull over and give a statement to the police, which was a bit surreal, and now I know why the LAPD is known for being slow to respond...

Thomas (one of the groomsmen), Adrian, Christine, and moi.

Friday night we celebrated the bachelorette party at Cowboy Country, a very hilarious line dancing, two-stepping place. We dressed Christine up in a t-shirt, boots, and a hat and took off with her. We had her a bit confused until we arrived. I have decided that line dancing could very well be the best workout of all time, and that I miss my country roots a bit... The best part of the place were the people there... The crowd was very kind, quite a few older people, and really just there to dance and learn. Very fun.
Audrey, Jenny, Val, Christine, BettyJenny and Becky


Today, we awoke and ran some more errands. Christine took the bridesmaids for a Gondola ride in the Redondo Beach Pier and Marina for the bridesmaid luncheon. We relaxed (almost fell asleep) for an hour, listened to opera music, and snacked on fruit and cheese.

The gondola ride....Christine, Jenny, Audrey, Vanessa
This is one of the most relaxing things I've ever done... Afterwards, we ran to Christine's house to change into our fancy clothes and head off to the Queen Mary for a ghost tour of the ship and a four-star meal. I ate caviar for the first time in my life. :) I think Christine has been genuinely blessed by this whole experience, which is the goal! I got to see her older brother Jeff for the first time in five years tonight. I have to admit, I screamed and ran up to him, and he has not changed much, but has, too... We graduated high school together and don't talk much anymore, but it is such a joy when we get to. I met his girlfriend (who is amazing) during the bachelorette party and saw her again tonight at the bridal shower. I'm hopeful that they will get married someday. I can see how their gift sets work so well together. It's fun to see him in love...


Oh, to blindfold a friend to surprise her...
The group of gals at the Queen Mary

Jenny, Jeff, and Christine (I don't even know how many hours we have logged together as friends...)
Go Sentinel Spartans... We graduated together. Eek.

Overall, this trip has been a wild mix of emotions. If I can be honest, it is incredibly spiritually tough and challenging... Thank you to all who are praying for this time... I am pouring myself out quite a bit, and am generally exhausted, but am also enjoying myself so much... This has truly been an incredible experience. God is meeting me here and teaching me a lot about selflessness, love, and pouring out... I have been so blessed to see Christine be so blessed. I think, too, that I have met some people who I will know for a long time to come. You can please pray for Betty, who is not a believer and has been asking me a lot of questions...

No comments: