Thursday, August 16, 2007

Summer Days

Spring Lake Beach... Ah, I want to go back...
Wow. I can't believe it's already the middle of August. What an incredible summer this has been! I am continually blessed in so many areas of my life.
Ministry at Global Disciples is stretching me, in fact, I can't remember the last time I've learned so much about God and about myself. I feel completely inadequate to do what I'm doing and that's a wonderful place to be! The Lord has been waking me up pretty early most mornings, in an attempt to get me to pray more (I think...), so most days I am awake sometime between 3:45 and 5 praying (or laying in bed begging God to let me sleep, even though I know why I'm awake... ah, the weakness of a human). Anyway, through these prayer times, I have been pressing in more to God's heart for the nations (as well as some personal things going on in my life). I'm amazed at HOW MUCH He desires all to know Him. It's incredible to me the depth of His love and desire. One area I have been praying specifically for is workers for the harvest. It breaks my heart that there are still 1.8 BILLION people who have never even had a chance to choose Jesus. It astounds me, really. I'm excited, though, because there will come a day that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father (Philippians 2:10-11) I can't believe that five years ago I didn't understand God's heart for missions very well at all... Now I can't imagine life before missions. It's been such a huge joy.

I have a new coworker from Ethiopia! It's been a total answer to prayer that Tefera has joined our staff. Just a few months ago, I was laying my head on my desk, crying out to God that I couldn't possibly do this alone. That very day, within minutes, God opened the door for Tefera and his family to move here. I know it's not about me, but it still felt like a huge present to me! We have been working at familiarizing him to the Alliance, and already, I can see so much in him that is just perfect for this. His life and his walk challenge me. He's been through so much, has seen so much, and is completely sold out to Jesus.

We have already begun planning for the annual meetings this year. It almost feels like we just finished the season from last time and we're at it again. This year, Tefera will take primary leadership in planning the Africa meeting with the Facilitator Team in Africa (in Ethiopia), I will work on the Asia meeting with our Facilitator in India (in Mumbai, India), our staff team in Bolivia will work on the Latin America meeting (Most likely to be held in Colombia), and the North America/Europe meeting will be held here, so that's nice and convenient... There are now over 90 programs in the Alliance and we just got a new application yesterday. There are people being trained to GO and it's pretty exciting when you think of the potential for people to hear the Good News!
Each day I think I learn some huge lesson, some new way to trust God, some humbling thing I need to grow in. Oh, did I mention it's also really stretching me? Yes, I think I did...
Personally, things are going really well. I got to see my mom again this past month quite a bit and that really blessed me. She was able to connect with some folks here she has known for years who live here and to meet new people as well. We also discovered she's strangely good at pitch and putting - golf - who knew? Ha ha.
Our campsite
Some of our group of friends just spent a weekend in Bradley Beach, NJ swimming, playing volleyball, frisbee, and surfing, well kind of... (you can check out the pics) and camping at Allair State Park. Surfing is very weird here, you get up and only have about five feet to ride. It's a bit strange. It was quite fun and relaxing, however, and I can't wait to go back... I think I like living a few hours from the beach. It's good for me. I got to sleep out under the stars, too, so you can't beat that! OH! You know out west, how you sleep in a sleeping bag and no matter how nice it is outside, your feet get really cold at about 3 in the morning? That doesn't happen here. It's great! (That was for all my outdoorsy friends...)

My very patient and "Nice" volleyball coach Nate :)
I am so blessed by the people God has brought into my life. I stand amazed at times that the prayers I prayed a few years ago for friends have been answered so completely and perfectly here. I get the joy of connecting with friends I have known for many years and friends I haven't known as long but are becoming quite dear to me.

I have also enjoyed catching up with some of you via email and phone. It's cool to me that technology allows us to remain in touch from very far away...



Some prayer requests:
  • For me to continually trust and seek God in my life. There are some big things I sense He's preparing me for and it's scary, unknown (not really sure what it is, just that it will be new), and very cool, all at the same time.

  • For more workers for the harvest and that His name would be known in all the earth. I look forward to that day!
  • For a trip that I will take along with Nate and Luke (and a few others I don't know...) to Pass Christian, MS to help with reconstruction from Hurricane Katrina. We leave EARLY this Sunday morning and return EARLY the following Saturday morning. I think we'll be working on finishing a house and we'll get to go to a house dedication (I think). We will also have a chance to tour some of New Orleans on Sunday. I think this trip will stretch me. I'm used to seeing unfavorable conditions in other countries, but here? I think it will be hard for me. Nate senses that Colossians 3:12-17 could be a focus for our trip, so if you can pray that over us, that would be great!

  • Continual surrender in my life. I think many of you must be praying for that, because God has been so faithful to help me do that more often...

Thank you once again for your prayers, your friendship, your love. I realize this journey is about a whole lot more than me. God uses a lot of people to carry out His task and His purpose. Thank you for your encouragement to me. Thank you for supporting me. I was thinking the other day as I looked at my receipts to mail out to contributors that some of you have supported me for over two years faithfully. I am humbled by each one who makes this possible by your prayers and your support. I thank you for being part of this dream that is reality for me. This is beyond anything I could have asked God for... Thank you for the joy you bring to my life. Keep in touch, I would like to catch up with some of you very soon...

With much love,

Jenny

No comments: